COUNTY OF LYCOMING
October 8, 2014
To: ALL News Media Agencies
From: Sheriff Mark Lusk
Subject: Telephone Scam Operation – For immediate release.
IDENTITY THEFTS ATTEMPTED
Numerous residents have been receiving calls from an individual who identifies himself as being with the LYCOMING COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE when he calls. This individual is requesting personal information (name, date of birth, and social security number) from the individuals receiving the calls.
The actor further states that unless the residents being called provide this very sensitive & personal information, there will be a warrant issued for the resident. He also has told residents that they could be committed to the Lycoming County Prison if they fail to provide this very sensitive personal information.
He further states that a warrant will be issued due to the resident failing to appear for jury duty or has failed to pay Court ordered cost and fines owed to Lycoming County IF THE RESIDENT DOES NOT PROVIDE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION THE ACTOR IS REQUESTING BY PHONE. The caller has even referred to Sheriff Mark Lusk by name when the caller has been asked to speak to his supervisor.
These calls are COMPLETELY bogus and are criminal acts that are being carried out in an attempt to scam the public by using the name of the Office of Sheriff of Lycoming County. If any residents receive any calls, they are requested to do the following:
1. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A RESIDENT EVER PROVIDE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION BY PHONE WHEN RECEIVNG ANY CALLS UNLESS THE RESDIENT PERSONALLY KNOWS THE CALLER.
2. NEVER PROVIDE ANY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO ANYONE WHOM THE RESIDENT DOES NOT PERSONALLY KNOW OR WITH WHOM A RESIDENT HAS NOT INITIATED THECALL.
3. NOTE ANY TELEPHONE NUMBER OF THE CALLER, THAT IS INDICATED ON THE RESIDENT’S TELEPHONE SYSTEM.
4. DOCUMENT THE CONVERSATION WITH THE SUSPECT MAKING THE CALL.
5. DISCONNECT WITHOUT PROVIDING ANY INFORMATION TO THE CALLER.
6. CALL THE OFFICE OF THE LYCOMING COUNTY SHERIFF AT 570.327.2280 IF A RESIDENTHAS ANY CONCERNS THAT HE OR SHE MAY BE A WANTED PERSON OR TO INQUIRE IF THE OFFICE OF SHERIFF HAS ANY REASON TO MAKE CONTACT WITH YOU. NOTE: The Office of Sheriff does not conduct business in this manner by telephone.
7. Any residents who have ALREADY received any calls similar to these described, are requested to call the Office of Lycoming County Sheriff to report the calls. These series of scam attempts are currently being criminally investigated by Sheriff’s Deputies and Detectives from the Office of Lycoming County District Attorney.
Please share this information with friends, relatives and neighbors in an effort to prevent them from becoming a victim.
As your Sheriff, I personally apologize to any residents who have received any such calls from any individuals in the attempt to commit IDENTITY THEFT.